Wednesday, September 20, 2006

She was just 17, if you know what mean...

Wow time keeps slipping by me, but thanks to everyone who keeps checking in here, swinging by the myspace page, sending email and prodding me in the street to “Update that blog”.  I’m coming up on one year doing this and I’m still surprised anyone reads it.
I have a couple things I’m working on offline, but I just can’t get right.  May be that they are the ones closest to me so that is taking some time.  Anyway, this week’s duty made the choice of story easy.  Cat and Wayne were with me, as always, and we had a new guy getting some time on a medic with us, Brian.  Tess has been given the opportunity to go to the ER in Baghdad as a paramedic for a year, and has said her goodbyes for now.  May God keep her safe as she heads off to help others in an area of the world not known for that.

We had just marked clear of the ER from a bogus sickness call and had not even made it out of the parking lot when the MDT terminal jingled and the screen was filled with a dispatch.  Wayne heard the sound and looks over as I tell him we are headed for an auto accident down between the gates to Quantico.  He gives me a nod and pulls up to the light in front of the hospital.  The dispatch has not even hit the radio yet, and I’m acknowledging that we are responding.  I know Wayne will wait on the light in the intersection then hit the sirens and away we’ll go.  In the mean time, we are waiting to hear more information.  That information comes as an update to the MDT as the dispatch just starts going over the radio.  “Two cars, head on….ejection” I say.  Wayne doesn’t look over this time, but I see him slapping on the lights, and feel the unit accelerating…so much for waiting on the lights to turn green in the intersection.  Cat and Brian are in the back, and our headsets aren’t working, so I turn and yell back to them.  I get them up to date and get things going  “…Hang two 1000 bags and get your vests”.  The trip is a fairly long one for us, and I know we are probably 8-10 minutes out from the dispatch.  There is a medic that is based closer but they are already on a run, so too is the closest engine.  There is a Battalion Chief that should get there fast, and apparently a Utility is in the area.  I check the computer and it looks like we are going to be the first in EMS piece, and the updates that keep popping up on my screen say we are going to be deep in it.  Possibly one ejected, reports of people in the roadway, 2 ALS patients, 3 BLS patients…all before the first unit is on scene.  (Yeah, a patient count by severity before a unit on scene…must be a bystander with some experience there).  The first pieces get there and we hear confirmation of one entrapped, all lanes closed.  The Batt Chief is asking for more EMS pieces, (only us and a basic on the initial dispatch) and it sounds like they are going to be coming from a ways off.  He has communications call onto the Marine Corps base for their units.  Good plan, they should get there shortly after we do.  We are closing on the scene now, and it sounds like it is busy there.  I radio ahead to command, “We are 30 seconds out, where do you want us Chief?”  He directs us to get behind the utility as we crest the ridge and get our first look at the scene.  

There was a green car of some sort off the road and against a tree line.  On the driver’s side, there were several bystanders, and while I couldn’t see into the vehicle, I can tell something bad is inside.  Laid out along the northbound lanes are patients, four of them.  They all have lacerations that I see from the unit, and a couple have someone with them.  At this point, we (the EMS providers) are still outnumbered by patients.  I hop out of the unit and head over to size up what we are facing.  Quantico’s engine is just arriving, and their Medic has to be close.  I walk through the people laid out on the pavement.  As I told someone later, I’m reminded of scenes from the 80’s hit squads in South America.  They are all laying perpendicular to the road direction, about two arm’s length apart, and bleeding from various places.  I notice two things, 1) None of the bleeding is really bad and 2) they all look at me when I go by.  That makes them conscious/alert and the lack of severe bleeds or obvious deformities is a ‘good’ sign.  I move past them to the car, here things change.  

The car is mangled, the front end is toast, and the driver’s side is not any better.  The driver’s door is almost ripped off, the windows don’t exist.  The driver is female and she has been knocked back in her chair so hard that she almost exited the vehicle out the driver’s side REAR window.  A bystander in motorcycle gear is holding her head and I can see that her face is grossly deformed.  My initial assessment is that she has fractured her left orbit and temporal region of her head.  She already has a golfball sized hematoma right at the middle of her forehead.  Her right leg is folded under her hips, but her leg looks intact.  She is clearly unconscious and is bleeding from her face and probably her airway from the sounds I’m hearing from her.  The patient is clearly going to need to be cut out, but all we really need is the door ripped the rest of the way.  I yell for someone’s attention and give them the circular finger in the air…time for a helicopter.  The guy holding her head is doing a good job with C-spine stabilization, and I ask him if he is good to go for a bit as I quickly make sure the rest of the car is empty.  off.  He assures he me he is ok, and I turn to get Cat’s attention.  She was back at the road starting to work with one of the guys there.  I wave her off of that and have her come over right away.  “Hey, this one can’t wait, she’s ours, let the next units finish sorting things out.”  (Ok, not PC, but it does get Cat and our guys moving.)  Cat nods as she comes around the car and starts working on the driver.  I ask if she’s cool for a minute, that I want to check in on command and make sure we have a handle on the big picture.  She nods and gets to it.

I jog back to the buggy where command is and make sure he knows we are going to need a chopper.  The officer off of Quantico’s engine is there and assuming Operations.  I give him my quick count and tell him we are focusing on the driver first.  The Medic from Quantico arrives as I’m walking back and one of those guys is clearly getting a good scene assessment going.  I tag up with him and we agree that he is going to coordinate the incoming units and sort the patients on the road, we are going to finish with the driver.  Cool, Okay, the big scene is handled and I can go get back to Cat.  The Tower is pulling in and I grab the officer as he gets out, “Hey, the driver in the car over there is bad, I need her out yesterday.”  I get a serious nod and they start pulling equipment.  

I get to the car with our cot in tow.  Wayne has retrieved the backboard and straps, and Cat has done her initial workup.  She has had no reaction from the patient, and has organized the mix group of rescuers and bystanders into a plan of action to pull the driver out.  (She rocks).  The door is quickly cut free and we are in business.  Cat tells me that we are going to intubate quickly, and I agree.  Wayne says he already has the kit open in the unit.  We get her on the board and quickly strapped down.  It is not a pretty job, but it will work.  As everyone is moving her free, I lean in to Cat, “Does she have a pulse?” “Yeah.” She says.  I look again and I’m not so sure.  “Check again”, I’m asking softly so as to not set off the bystanders that are helping.  “Got a carotid, but no radial” Cat updates.  (BP low probably around 70 that means…makes sense).  We carry her to the waiting cot and head off to the unit.  Her arms are flopping free at first and Brian does a good job helping get her contained.  She’s out cold, but still breathing….I can hear it…not good.  As we are rushing to the unit, I notice the looks that we are getting from people we pass.  They are having the same thoughts I am, and I’m not sure that she’s going to make it long enough to make it onto the chopper.  I have yet to see her respond to anything, and while she is moving air, her airway is clearly in jeopardy.  At least now we are going to be somewhere where we can attack her problems and see if we can’t keep her alive long enough to get to the Trauma Center.

The door slam shut and we get to it.  Wayne asks for trauma shears and starts to strip our patient.  Cat is setting up suction and the ET kit and Brian is getting out a Bag-Valve-Mask (BVM) so we can breathe for her.  Cat asks for a 7.0 tube while she starts to suck the blood from the patient’s throat.  I get the ET tube and stylet set up, lay it across the patient’s neck and ask Cat how it looks, “We’ll see” is the response.  From Cat, that’s bad.  Brian is good to go with the BVM and we are starting to get some pure oxygen into her.  Everyone has a task to work on so I give the girl a quick once over and set up for IV access on her left side.  I see that she is going to have a fracture on her right ankle, and Wayne is doing good exposing her.  She has decent veins, and I reach from my 16 gauge (one of the big ones), as I talk Brian through getting her on the ECG.  Cat is going for the intubation as I am ready to go for the IV.  “Well, that’s an artery” I hear behind me.  I turn back and Wayne is standing over that fracture, and it is shooting blood back on him and the back door area.  “Let’s STOP that” I say as I reach back and grab the wound, applying direct pressure to the bleed.  Wayne reaches for a trauma dressing to get things controlled.  Damn, I really don’t have time for this I’m thinking.  I’m now stuck holding an arterial bleed on an otherwise minor fracture, knowing that Cat is likely to need a hand on the ET and that I really need to start some IV fluids going.  I have Brian come around to the back to help Wayne, and they are quickly on the bandaging.  A fireman from Quantico I’ve never seen sticks his head in the side of the unit.  “Bad luck for you buddy, get in here and do whatever she tells you.” I say to him and point at Cat.  Cat is having a tough time getting the tube.  The patient’s breathing is agonal, and she is gasping like a fish out of water with each breath.  I wish we had RSI for the millionth time.  The gasping combined with the internal bleeding is making it about impossible for Cat to keep a visualization of her vocal cords.  At least now she’ll have a set of hands to help out with.   I pull up the patient’s arm and notice that I can’t hold her wrist, it too has an open fracture.  Sigh.  The IV slips in, and I get a great flash.  Just then her arm twists in mine and pulls the IV right through the other side of her vein. Shit, the line’s blown….Hey, she’s moving…no she’s posturing…SHIT.  I notice that only her left side is moving, which is odd, but I just file that away for the moment.

Just then John, the guy off the Tower, and a former ALS certified provider sticks his head in.  I start to have him switch with the Quantico guy and help Cat, but he has to do something else outside.  I must have looked stressed.  “Hey…Breath” he says and gives me a smile.  My first thought was an indignant, “I’m not panicked yet”, but I take the mental pause, give John a wink and say, “I’m on it, I just need SOMETHING to go right here.”  John grins and is gone.  “Sorry, you’re stuck here” I say to the Quantico guy.  He’s cool with it.  Okay, change of tact.  Wayne just about has the ankle bleed under control.  I tape my blown IV attempt, wave Cat off the ET attempt and we all rotate one position around the patient.  Cat sets up for an IV on the patient’s right side, and I take over airway.  The ET is out until the flight crew shows up with RSI, but I’m a BIG believer that a lot of butt can be kicked with a solid BLS airway.  I clamp a solid seal on the BVM mask and start to sync my squeezes of the bag to her gasps.  I’m getting good compliance as long as I work with her natural efforts and I’m happy for the moment.  Cat finds nothing but lacerations on the patient’s right arm up through the A/C area where she was going for the IV, so she moves up to the bicept.  That IV goes smoothly and we suddenly have something for access and a decent handle on an airway…for now.  Cat moves to the patient’s left for more of the same.  We have a driver hop up front and we are on the way to the Landing Zone.

Being at the head I can see the entire patient and everything going on.  Since we have one IV going (an 18 gauge) I ask Cat to try with the 16 for this one.  Wayne’s bandage job seems to be doing the trick and that bleeding is controlled.  I have him double check to make sure he has a pulse in the foot…we don’t want things TOO tight.  He assures me he does and all is well.  I’m impressed with the considerable pool of blood I see between the patient’s legs and dripping on the floor…wow, they had their hands full.  There is another pool that formed from the wrist fracture, but it wasn’t arterial.  Brian gets on that and Cat quickly has the second IV in place in her left bicept.  The ECG is showing the ugly tachy rhythm that I have seen in several traumas it seems, and is running along in the 130’s to 150’s.  (She’s lost/losing blood, and her heart is racing to keep pressure up…it’s compensation, and the next step is BAD, the heart slows and down she goes).  The hematoma on her head is huge now, and Cat’s secondary assessment says that she may not have the orbital fracture on the left side, but she’s sure there is a right sided jaw fracture and dislocation to the left.  The patient’s eyes are constricted and bloodshot, more bad news…her ribs are intact, but she’s exhibiting see-saw respirations, her abdomen is becoming rigid…she’s bleeding inside too.  (The B/P machine on the lifepack gave some high BP number, but didn’t get the pulse right so we disregarded that number.)  Her pelvis was stable, and all her long bones seemed ok.  She had open left wrist and right ankle fractures, and that controlled arterial bleed.  She’s still in deep weeds, but we are suddenly ahead in the sense that we have done what we need for the flight and have a minute left to restrap her to the board and get everything secured.  Wayne raises the flight crew on the radio and we tell them to come with the RSI kit.

We get to the LZ just in time to see the chopper landing.  The flight crew hops in and gets a quick report.  They set up fast for the RSI intubation and pass on a complement on what we’ve been able to do so far.  The flight nurse has an issue with the intubation even with the paralytics and sedation, and says that the airway is covered in blood about as fast as we can suction it.  They rotate, and the flight medic gives it a try.  He is in quickly and while they work to secure the tube, I swap out an IV bag and get the patient onto their monitors.  I also manage to cut away some bracelets off the fractured wrist for transport. The four of us (Cat, the flight crew and I) are pretty busy for a few minutes getting things ready.   The crew agrees with our assessment of the patient (real bad) and passes on several complements on getting her set up.  Always nice to hear from the flight guys.  The patient is transferred to the chopper and just that fast, they are on their way.

As the guys come back with the now empty cot I see the puddle of blood that is left on the cot and turn to see a unit that is truly messed up.  I know I’ve gone through 3-4 pairs of gloves myself, Wayne has blood on his pants, I have it on my pants and shirt, and Cat has her share as well.  Brian had his bunkers on the whole time, so his uniform is spared, but the bunkers are in for a good washing.  We have a LONG cleanup coming.  The Cot is in bad shape and ultimately, back at the hospital, Cat and Brian end up all but taking it totally apart cleaning it….the mat was removed, the slings removed, the frame cleaned piece by piece, and everything hosed.  Somewhere in the mess inside was my watch which I had removed to save it from the blood….too late.  Between report writing, cleaning and restock, we get back on the road in only 2 short hours.  Cat ran home for new clothes for us and the rest of us went off to scrub Brian’s bunkers.  

Once again, I have no idea what happened to our girl.  I never got any more info.  In fact, I didn’t have her name the whole time, she had no id on her, and she clearly wasn’t talking.  Only after getting to the ER did I find out that the other folks from the car were in our local ER, and was able to ask them for her name.  We had thought that she was about 22-24 yrs old, and we found out she was 17.  So too, were the four others in her car, all in the ER.  One of the mothers of a patient was able to give me the name, and she came to a halt when she realized why I wouldn’t already know it….she had to be unconscious the entire time.  We don’t know the cause, but it appears that they had been horsing around in the car, lost control, hit an SUV head-on then swerved off the road into the trees. Again, just a guess, but it fits what was seen.  Another young life that is going to be drastically changed if not ended.  Between us on the scene, we think her odds were bad, maybe 75/25 against on survival, and in any case certainly has a lot of rehab ahead.  I’ll let you all know if I ever find out.

10 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,

I will tell you, she did not make it. That is to said, she was way to young.

DTX

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger JC said...

Hate to add to this... I have spoken with folks involved through all aspects of her care:

She was received by the trauma team at FXH with the odds being given from the flight crew at 90/10. Unfortunately all odds makers involved were correct. She survived on a vent in the TICU for ~8 hours. Was never stable enough to get to surgery. Needed Neuro guy for the skull fx and ortho guy for much more. Almost all of her family was able to arrive bedside. She quietly died around 2100 Sunday evening. Huge kudos to the ground medics from the trauma team. Doc's were impressed with the lines and ET based on time frame they received in transfer report ground care was <15 minutes. Enroute to trauma bay <10 minutes (3 of which is taken by unloading and moving from Helio-pad to trauma bay) EMS cut her golden hour in half. You did good guys! Proud to call you friends. She was way too young.

Jon.

 
At 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story telling is only upstaged by your Medic abilities. I was gonna bug ya on when this story would be posted after listening to the whole deal on the radio. Rock on man.

 
At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kudos on another kick-a$$ job. I've got quite a few years to go yet, but stories like this make me worry about my daughters teenage years and the dangers that inexperienced drivers bring on themselves.

BTW - have you heard of Tom Reynolds, author of the "Random Acts of Reality" blog (http://randomreality.blogware.com)? He's an EMT with the London (England) Ambulance Service and has managed to turn his blog into a book ("Blood, Sweat & Tea, available from Amazon.com), which I'm currently reading. Any chance of a "Night Runs" book in the future?

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger MedicChris said...

Wow, just poked in to see if there were comments...
DTX and Jon -- Nice tap-points for info...expect to be questioned on how we can keep following up. I'll make sure Cat sees the comments, she's an asskicker, I just carry the radio.

Jemt12- Yeah, got your 'come play' page too...grin gave me a smile in the midst of that mess somewhere.

Resqgeek -- Full Honesty: Yeah, I started the blog with the idea that I'd never be able to sit down and write a book of stories, but I could write one, and one more...and if people liked it, maybe it would be a book. I had actually backed off of that thinking that folks may not actually BUY something like this, but you make a guy think...

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger S. said...

I'm both disappointed and glad that you didn't have room for me Sunday.

Last weekend during the CME lunch break we were all talking about this blog and how much we enjoy it.

See you Sun. @ the C.F. (Craft Fair ha ha)

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger MedicChris said...

S. Well the CF is over..grin. Enjoyed talking to you there. Talking behind my back? uh oh...grin. Glad you guys like the stories. The comments are really great to hear.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger armywife said...

Hiya!!! It's me...armywife. Haven't posted in a while....sorry. I am catching up on a lot of things now that I am working mommy/housewife. I started working as a police/911 dispatcher recently. It has been a great way to get my feet wet I think. But let me tell ya, sitting on the other end of a phone when you want to be out in the action, killer, just killer. Especially on those calls where all you can do is listen and hope to god they hang on long enough for help to get there. It is hard, very hard sometimes, but I am loving it a lot. I think I still want to get into game, get out there, be an EMT. I am getting to know our EMS guys pretty well, so I am gonna go on a ride along with those guys here soon. Your page is as fabulous as ever, and I see you have a myspace account now, so sad....hehe. Just kidding, I have one too, I am addicted. Anyway, great job on your blog!!! I should really go and write some more on mine (the lazy ashely has come back now that I have a husband to fall back on...hehe) See ya later!! http://www.myspace.com/ashleyhernandezhall

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Just have to say I'm jealous that your MDT jingles. Ours makes a swooshing sound that has been commonly agreed to call "spitting" since that is usually what dispatch is doing to you anyway!

Excellent description of the call and interventions, thanks!

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought RandomActsOfReality's book, and I definitely will buy your NightRuns when published. I love your writing, and what you write about is so interesting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home