Saturday, December 17, 2005

1000 visits

Okay, so in the annals of internet history 1000 visits is hardly a ripple in the ocean.  But, for some guy basically telling stories around a bay table, 1000 visits is impressive, and flattering.  Last night, as of the Clustermaps update, we crossed the 1000 visit mark.  There are between 10-20 on days when I haven’t posted in a while, and posting days drives the number up to something like double that.  According to that map, we have had visitors from all but one continent, and we seem to have a regular and diverse viewership from not only the US, but England, and other parts of Europe as well.  There is also a bit of a group forming in southeast Asia and Australia and New Zealand too.  That’s quite a big table to tell a story at, and when I tossed up my first entries, I really never thought anyone would be interested other than some folks at the station and my mom.  

Thanks for stopping in, and thanks for the comments.  The conversation with Hank, on here, about the legal aspects of EMS in the states lead to some interesting conversations on the topic back at the firehouse too.  Sharing a laugh with CD, or empathizing with Andy about pedi-codes has really shown us that brotherhood among fire and rescue personnel is universal.  No matter where you go in the world, there are people who feel like you do, and see what you see.  Nice to know. Stacey, Fox2, and Soldier’s wife, thanks for the encouraging words, you make it fun to share.  Soldier’s wife, not all the calls you run will be notable, a topic I intend to cover here too.  When I was doing ride-alongs to see what this EMS thing was like, I was lied too. Grin, not really lied to, but we ran a series of truly cool calls, and I thought every night was like that.  Only after getting involved did I learn that there are weeks and weeks of Flu calls, small auto accidents, and tummy aches.  You’ve been warned.  And of course, as you all must know, to DTXMATT12, the fire captain in the stories, Jen the newest member of the crew (Can’t say rookie anymore, she has a pretty blue helmet now), Jon my mentor in the department and closest of friends, and S. a long time friend in the department and out, your comments here and at the station always make me laugh. Thanks for the support and the ideas.  Just as important, but behind the scenes as far as the blog goes, thanks go out to the people in my department, and in the area I run in general who keep nudging me forward, and your kind words.  I’m starting to get comments every night I run, or at the hospital etc.  Still surprises me that people come to listen and share.

Anyway, enough love-in for now.  Thanks for stopping in, and sharing, or just reading.  You are all much cheaper than therapy, and much better than any support group I’ve heard of.  Here’s to 1000 visits, and I’ll try to make it worth many more.

5 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris. Just thought I'd say hello after reading your latest post. Maybe fill in a few of the gaps on at least one of your readers in Oz. My name is Pete H. I'm an Intensive Care paramedic in the A.C.T.(Australian Capital Territory)I've been working here for over a year and before that 10 years in London, England. I've always been payed for the work I do,so have a fair bit of respect for you guys who provide good care as volunteers. I've just finished a book called 'Meeting your neighbours on siren at a time'. Which is very well written and gives a very good insight into the life of a rescue/ambulance squad in a small country town. Don't know if you've come across it but would recommend it if you haven't.
I'm interested how you guys got started. Did you pay for your own tuition or did you work as a paid ambo previously? Anyways best be getting back to restocking the truck. Just had an acute anaphylaxsis, so it's pretty trashed. Take care and I'll sure be dropping by regularly. Keep on keeping on. Pete H.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger armywife said...

Congrats on your 1000 visits!!! I was so excited when my blog got 1000. But mine is not as interesting as yours (to me anyway). I can't wait till my blog is talking about something a little more up beat. Soon. Thanks for the email, it was cool to hear from you. And about the job not being all excitment, well, I guess that is part of it and I can't wait to find out for myself. Actually, what I really want to do is be a medic for the army, but my husband doesn't really want that. I am sure being a civ. medic will be a good fit for me, everyone I know seems to think so. Wish they would have told me earlier, I would have saved a lot of money on business and psychology classes in college!!

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger MedicChris said...

Pete - Hello! Nice to put a name with the spot on the map. I have not come across the book, but I'll be looking on Amazon shortly. To answer your question, I started as a volunteer, and have never had a paid position. MedicCat, my wife, started as a volunteer, as a firefighter actually, but then cross-trained into EMS and later left a job as a High School Biology Teacher to do this professionally. As for the initial tuition, it was covered by the volunteer department. When you join, there are several quick classes that you must take (CPR, HazMat awareness, Infection Control and Communicating with the Deaf and hard of hearing) and then you choose to start in either EMT or Firefighter I. All of the training is covered by the department. When you get your EMT card from the state, you are then paired with a preceptor who runs with you for a while and teaches local protocol, procedures and administrative things (Put your reports there, check out your unit etc). That gives you "Lead" status. After a year of riding lead, you can ask to be sent to ALS classes, again paid for by the department. There is a pretest and interview, basically assessing your ability to succeed, and then you are admitted to those classes. When you pass that, you get an ALS preceptor and continue. All in all, it is a pretty good deal in exchange for your time. While I got all of my training from the volunteer department, Cat got her EMT with us, her Intermediate (the base ALS cert here in the states) with her career department, and is now in her Paramedic upgrade through the volunteers.
Hope all was well with your anaphylaxsis, and I've been known to trash a unit or two too. Stay safe!

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger MedicChris said...

Wife, I will have to check in and say hi at your blog! Combat Medics are a league of their own, and have my total respect, but don't underestimate all the little differences you'll make on the streets, I'm sure you'll love it as much as we all do. And don't think you won't use both of those subjects, and not just with patients!

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris. Sounds like you've got a pretty good set up and helpful department. A lot of squads seem to be pretty tight moneywise. It's good to know that yours goes the extra mile for it's people. The analphylaxsis was unusual. Progressing upper airway/tongue(lingual)oedema. I told my student to 'just get me to the hospital' as I condidered wether I'd have to Needle Cric the patient. I had to stifle a laugh on route, though. I was doing my best to reassure the patient whilst the IM/Neb 1:1000 Epi kicked in. He kept pointing to his toungue( which was 4-5 times its normal size) like I hadn't noticed it. He came good in the end.
The books title is 'Population 485:Meeting your neighbours one siren at a time' By Mike Perry.Highly recommended. Take care, Pete H.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home